ChatRoom
Active Threads

Please visit our sponsors:
 DoctorScripts.com
OnlinePrescriptionService.com

PharmacyWatchers.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Other medicine related topics    DENTIST NOW SAYS,I'VE GOT A DRY SOCKET
Page 1 2 

Moderators: ~Kat~, ~Shawn~, Libby, Neon, Rosie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

-star Rating Rate It!   Login/Join  
Chargé d’ affaires ad interim
Picture of ~AMY~
Posted
I CALLED TO SEE IF THEY WOULD, call me in something for pain, so they said no we won't without seeing you so when I got there, the assistant came in there and dug in the hole, (I know..eeeww gross) anyway, she stuck this medicated gauze, way up in there and said it would desolve, and then another piece, that I could spit out in 20 minutes.

Okay, so know that piece is in a circliur type piece hanging there, so I ask did I need any antibotics??? NO, Okay, Do I need a follow up apptm.?? NO.... okay so I left, and this medicine is killing my throat, so I called back and ask, should I restrict my diet/ and when/ and how long should I wait before eating and drinking, and she said I could eat or drink anything when ever I wanted too, is that right, ya'll????

They are acting like I am cured and no reason to be concerned and go on with your normal life, and we will see you at your next cleaning...

Is this really possible?

Thanks my real friends and advisors!!

Posts: 1723 | Registered: November 16, 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary
Picture of ~David~
Posted Hide Post
Dang Amy, sorry they would not give you anything, what a drag, the could have at least done a weeks worth of Vicodin...this whole epidode has taken it's toll on you..hope you are better soon!
David

"The early bird catches the worm"...only proves that the worm should have stayed at home and in bed!

Posts: 5441 | Registered: January 05, 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Picture of ~AMY~
Posted Hide Post
Oh well, they did give me 12 count 7.5 hydo's, can we count them 12, this kind a pain, that couold be gone in a day and a half, 2 anyway, UGH!!

Thanks David, it's just unbelieveable, and I am on leave without pay, even, because I was so upset I came home instead of going back to work....... Frowner

AWOL AMY

Posts: 1723 | Registered: November 16, 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Third Secretary
Posted Hide Post
Amy
UGH!!! I was afraid of that with the dry socket and all. I didn't want to say anything for fear I'd come off as a know it all or something. Not to mention all you've already gone thru I didn't really want to add to it. I really can't see them saying not to watch what you eat or drink, though. And also, and this will sound dumb, but you've got to try to keep your mouth closed. Really. Especially if you are in cold temps. That can add to the dry socket problem. I thought though, that you weren't supposed to eat or drink ANYTHING for at least a few hours. Maybe the person that came on before (sorry bad with the names lately) will come back and give you some other advice. I think I would take hers over your dentists at this point.
I know if you are anything like me (you are) you are missing the money you could be making at work, but you really need to concentrate on taking care of yourself right now. Like David (I think...hi David) said, this could become an infection that you don't even want to go there with.
Good luck. If you run out of your meds you just call and give em' he ll.
Take care
Becky

Posts: 126 | Registered: September 22, 2006 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Picture of ~AMY~
Posted Hide Post
You are a sweetie Beck, Naw, I didn't or wouldn't think anyone here is a know-it-all, sometimes I worry about myself sounding that way, too, though..
Well, anyway, I think that you are right, CJHARV, I believe was the one with all the knowledge on this topic.
this is the only advice on a small slip of paper that I got..it said
1. Avoid carbonated drinks for 4 hrs. (water, tea, fruit juices, & coffee are fine) i read on the net you are suppose to wait 4 days not hrs.?
2. we all know this on ..Avoid drinking through a straw
3. smokers, blah.. I don't smoke
4.Wait 24 hrs, before rinsing with salt water
5. Change gauze every 15-20 minutes as needed

That was all, oh and I think he told me to wait 2 hrs. before I ate or drank anything.

That gross medicated gauze is still just hanging there, I hope when I get hungry, it doesn't get tangled, and I swallow it, or food catches onto it, and more infection.

I can't believe no Antibiotics, and I have been 6 visits since 11-27, and I never ask how much any of it is costing, I know that was stupid, I have just paid 110.00, a little every visit, and I do know he didn't charge me for the first visit, and he took 2 x-rays, so I thought that was good, when I get the bill, I will probably realize that an oral surgeon would have probably been about the same... Man, I sure hope not!!

Picture of ~David~
Posted Hide Post
Amy~ As soon as my "settlement' is a done deal, (fingers crossed)
I am going to Mexico, have already called, the work I am having done is a fraction of the cost here and I am not that far from one of the border towns...they give you pain meds. as part of the procedure, I told the assistant I need STRONG pain med. due to my daily usage at present. She told me the really strong medication is $25.00, and that I have to go to a specific Pharmacia...wonder what it is, certainly not Hydro, if anybody else has ideas about dental work in mexico, I would like to hear it.
One thing I did learn, it is so much easier to walk across rather than drive, they seem to pay less attention and I had meds. in each pocket, they just waved me through, BUT, this was a few years ago, things may be a little tighter now. Mabe get a few cans of that supplement, like Sustacal, yukky, but neither hot nor cold, some of them are not too bad actually. Don't forget, grapefruit juice will help potentiate the few Hydro's you do have, (have heard this anyway)...
Thinking of you....
Hugs, David

"The early bird catches the worm"...only proves that the worm should have stayed at home and in bed!

Posts: 5441 | Registered: January 05, 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Third Secretary
Posted Hide Post
Amy,

I am soooooo sorry and I hate to say it but your dentist is a complete quack!!!! You need to get to an oral surgeon and quick! A "dry socket" wil NOT heal on its own. You must be on antibiotics, steroids (probably) and we put people on Tylox (which is like Percocet and has to have a written prescription by the way) and my dentist would call the patient EVERY NIGHTwhen this would happen and in my seven years we only had 8 the entire time! And if your sinus is exposed, which it probably is you need to have the sinus resealed. Otherwise your nose filters things and it will stay constantly infected and I don't mean to scare you but it may actually spread and you will lose bone and then teeth.

We had a woman who came in and her general dentist had botched a job, we did the surgery, did the bone graft but there was just too much bone gone. She ended up losing three teeth in the front of her mouth. My doctor felt soooo bad and offered to write a letter (which he had never done before) so she could sue if she wanted to!

The salt water rinses will help or even hydrogen peroxide will help alot. I am soooo sorry but you really need to get to an oral surgeon, a periodontist or if you can't then call an endodontist. They always have emergency numbers and if their practice was anything like ours then they leave three hours a day open for emergencies.

Not to toot my own horn but my doctor was one of the best in the United States. He has done numerous videos teaching other endodontists how to do oral surgeries and root canals.

And for people who want to know there is a Non-Profit organization called CRA that is only for dentistry. They test all dental products and then write a newsletter stating if they are bogus or not. (And they are worldwide!) Wish all industries had one! Well we worked next door and participated with CRA.

Please, please, please, get yourself checked out. You may not know about the bone loss for years to come. It goes to a consistency of thick jello that has to be scooped out.

On a good note, bone can regrow if there is not too much gone. Please let me know how everything goes. I logged on specifically to check to see how you were doing. My prayers and thoughts are with you. There are few things that are as painful as dry socket! Frowner

Posts: 122 | Registered: April 20, 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Third Secretary
Posted Hide Post
CJ
I'm so glad you are here to give what sounds like some really great information. OK Amy, it's your turn. You may want to check out an oral surgeon, especially if the pain doesn't subside soon. Take it from me, it is not fun at all to have your teeth all pulled.
Take care
Becky

Posts: 126 | Registered: September 22, 2006 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Picture of ~AMY~
Posted Hide Post
CJH, you honey are awesome, and very caring... you too Beck, BTW.
Thanks so much for everything, and I am so glad you to the time to help me!! God Bless you.
I will figure my next move, and let everyone know, right to tell the truth I wish I had the money for Dentures, My dad got them a couple years younger than I am, and we were speaking on the phone last night, and told me I inherited a bad genic line, anyway, plus as a child, I was not made to brush my teeth, like when I got in my teen years, so I had braces, but really didn't take good care of my teeth, like I should have.
I feel like I have a cold, and 2 people at work have been sick, but it could be the sinus thing, I will definately keep my eyes wide open.
Thanks again... a million!!

Third Secretary
Posted Hide Post
Amy
I have that same bad genetic line. My mom actually had dentures when she was like 21. As for me I had to get a shot of penecillin with every baby tooth I got thus they came in almost black. With 7 kids and not much money in the family (only one working parent) we went to the University internship programs for dental work. Now, today I would recommend them highly, but we only went when we had a bad tooth or something. So mine probably comes from bad care from the get go, too. Then when I got on my own I paid out the ying yang for veneers, and all kinds of work. Just to be told a couple of years ago that I had osteoperosis of the mouth, (not really called that but same thing.) So now I'm a gummy bear with falsies. To this day I cannot get used to them, but again, need to see a dentist.
So hon, take if from me you want to hang on to your teeth as long as possible.
Take care.
I'll be thinking of ya
Becky
PS Good thing I got married while I was still cute, huh? Eeker

Assistant Attaché
Picture of 3Dogs
Posted Hide Post
When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I had horrible pain & my hubby was like... deal with it. I waited all weekend, then finally called on Monday. They were like "WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL US?!?" They stuck something down in there & it helped immediately. Fortunately for me, that was all it took.

If you are still hurting, I would definately take CJH's advise & go to someone else, cause you deserve not to be in pain!!!!

3D

My Chessies are my children.

Posts: 62 | Registered: March 08, 2006 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Picture of ~AMY~
Posted Hide Post
Thanks 3Dogs, Hey that gives me some hope, it's not hurting now, and I do have pain meds on the way, (hopefully FEDEX won't have mechanical problems), yep, That has happened.
Seriously, I am going to see how it goes, and go to my PCP, since he is open Sat and Sun, now if it gets riduclously painful, and I know he will make sure I can get in somewhere and who to recommend.
I live in a small town and the other Dentist said NO WAY you need to go to an oral surgeon, and he would touch any of my top teeth, but this guys was willing to , and he had done my back left side before, and it went of with out a hitch, with the same warning.
I guess it is true, how they say one side of a person is bigger, everything on right side is bigger, I guess longer (roots) in this case.

Thanks again all of you, I do have all of this info saved in a draft email.

Picture of ~AMY~
Posted Hide Post
dentist called me in some Atibiotics, since I now have fever and mouth is sweeling, YIPPY

Picture of ~Kat~
Posted Hide Post
Be careful, don't smoke, drink through a straw...the normal things they tell us after oral surgery.
Hang in there TC!! We have your back..

NTAP~withdrawal is easier than chemo.

NTAP-never take another puff
Disclaimer:Making sure I keep my quit in place by the reminders~

Posts: 4600 | Registered: September 30, 2003 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Picture of ~David~
Posted Hide Post
Amy~ Infection, swelling?...I don't like the sound of any of this, forget this guy you have been seeing~ Please take Cjharve's advise...you are in a crisis medically, That dentest has gone way over his head and will only make things worse, Please honey, you are trying so hard to keep this as "routine" and non-invasive as you can, it is the wrong appraoch, you need someone with real expertise, and who can treat you with a informed approach!...I insist on this...get your butt moving, this is not resolving with time, Please!
Hugs, David

Previous Topic | Next Topic  powered by eve community  Page 1 2   

PharmacyWatchers.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Other medicine related topics    DENTIST NOW SAYS,I'VE GOT A DRY SOCKET

All content belongs to PharmacyWatchers.com and may not be copyed or reproduced in any way.